Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 41: Scholarship

I really love taking pictures for people. I love capturing candid moments when people are just being themselves...pictures that make you feel something when you look at them.

However, it became to clear to me as soon as I started taking more portraits that people have a hard time being "natural" when they know the camera is pointed at them.  No matter who is taking the pictures!  Even though everyone I take pictures for knows me really well, they still get, what is it, shy? nervous? uncomfortable? and something tells me that it's more about what the photographer does to create the right atmosphere than it is about how good someone can pose for you.

Which leads me to my explanation of the above shot.  I was sitting in church and noticed my neighbor playing with his son at the end of the meeting.  They both had the biggest, most natural smiles on their faces and I thought, "Now that's a moment!"  When I called Spencer and told him of my observation and asked him if I could take a picture, he said, "Well now I'm embarrassed that you saw me doing that!"  Which proves my point exactly.  Those real moments happen when the person feels unobserved.  And that's what I want to take pictures of.  Because that's what I would want to remember.

Which leads me to my second point.  Brooke Snow (as many of you have heard me rant and rave about already) has been a teacher and mentor to me for which I am so grateful.  She is an amazing photographer, and she has a special ability to do what I've described above...make her clients feel comfortable enough to be themselves during a session.  Her photos have literally brought me to tears on many occasions.  In a few weeks, Brooke will be offering an Advanced Photography class where she will share her vast experience in these and other areas.  In addition, she is offering a scholarship for one of the coveted spots and I am crossing all my fingers and toes that I could be that lucky one.  I've got 324 days left and I think this would be the perfect time to receive some face to face inspiration from other photographers.   Wish me luck!   

2 comments:

Heather Aleece said...

Trish!! I got so excited reading this because that special memory I have of you with Haven is just a moment like this!! "Those real moments happen when the person feels unobserved. And that's what I want to take pictures of. Because that's what I would want to remember."

It really would have been such a touching picture and I know would bring tears. I am the only one who has it!

Brooke Snow Photography said...

Trisha! Thank you so much for writing! I loved reading this! And I seriously would just love to sit down one day and chat with you about the philosophical side of photography!

I too loved how you said, "Real moments happen when the person feels unobserved". There are plenty of different levels to that, from out right camera observation to the more abstract judgmental observation. So much of feeling unobserved I believe comes from subjects feeling accepted and loved by the photographer... something which you really have a gift for in helping everyone feel accepted.

Thanks for writing! I think you're awesome!